Friday, August 7, 2009

Purple Passion Flower Patch

I need to catch up with all I have been doing. I am trying to broaden my understanding about our complex world. I received an email from a friend about my July 25 butterfly trip to Harris Neck. The email said the passion flower patch was the place for the butterflies. Doesn’t passion flower patch sound wonderful especially when you see one passion flower like this picture taken by Fitz Clarke .
Then you think about a whole patch of purple passion flowers.
Now add a beautiful and flashy butterfly like this Pipevine Swallowtail.

Wow, the colors seem to stand out.
My favorite butterfly is the black and yellow Zebra Heliconius. Passion flower is its host plant. We found eight Zebra Heliconius around lantana that day. Black, yellow and purple are stunning together. We all brought out our cameras and clicked away. Why are we drawn to these black and yellow butterflies and purple flowers?

Orange, yellow and purple are called complimentary colors in the artist's world. We create whole images around complimentary color schemes.
I am amazed at nature with all of its complex designs. This Sleepy Orange is in the purple flowers near the purple passion flower patch. There is so much to see and to learn.

No comments: