Sunday, June 3, 2012

Repairing the fencing

June 1, 2012 Tropical storm Beryl dumped much needed rain on us last weekend.  It also kicked up the surf.  So what happen to the fencing that defined the plover nesting area?  On May 31, I was out with Sue Waggoner and her friends and sure enough the fence was down.  But we did see the two Wilson’s Plover chicks.  They are doing finely. Plus Sue told me, they saw a young Wilson’s Plover chick.  That makes three chicks that are vital.  It is so hard for these beach nesting birds to survive.  Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

I email Ben Carswell about the fence.  We met and assess the damage. Ben had a meeting so I started to work.  It was a busy morning of pulling the stakes out of sand and putting them back up.  A whole section of the fencing was down due to boards from a boardwalk had been washed up and through and around the fence.  What a mess. See.

That took a lot of work untangling that mess,


but I did it. 

 While I worked, I was entertained by the birds.  A Marbled Godwit was feeding nearby.  He was being dogged by a Willet.  Two Gull-billed Terns flew by.  They have such a buoyant way of flying.  Five Red Knots flew in for a few minutes but didn’t stay long enough to look for bands. 

At the end, the fence was up.  Ben came out after lunch and pounded the stakes deeper into the sand.  He adjusted the rope so the fence is back up.  I went out in the afternoon and was rewarded.  The new Wilson’s Plover chick was running around.  The fence is working!!!!!


No comments: