Saturday, March 26, 2011

Amphitheater pond surprise

On Friday, I was out with a nice couple from New York City, Sam and Mary Miller. I took them over to the Amphitheater. If you want to see a mix of birds both little and big on Jekyll, the Amphitheater pond is a good bet. Here is a view of the pond.I try to go to this area at least once or twice a week for there are always a few surprises around. It was true of Friday. We were enjoying to spoonbills, storks, and herons when I looked up to see a huge flock of big birds fly over my head. They were all Anhingas. I could not believe it. I grab my camera but the flock had become dots in the distance. Then I saw they were coming back. My little camera just could not capture the whole flock but I tried. At one point some landed in the top of a pine and we tried to count them. We counted several times and came up with 65 as the count. But when I got home and downloaded the pictures, this picture blown up showed 89 Anhingas! It was an amazing sight!

No comments: