Thursday, February 19, 2009

Banding Shrikes

On Monday I met Jonathan Gray. I was very curious about his Loggerhead Shrike research. We start out at Gisco Marina Road. This is the road at the beginning of the Jekyll Causeway that winds under the Sidney Lanier Bridge . We spotted a shrike right off the bat. We slowed down and put out the trap and drove down the road, turned around and watch. The bridge was blocking some of the tree but we could see the shrike. Suddenly the bird dropped down and flew off away from the trap. What? We eased up to see a Cooper’s Hawk was sitting in the tree! The shrike was gone. Did the hawk get our shrike? We looked but could not find the shrike.



We tried several places without any luck. Finally at the golf course near the putt golf course, we found two shrikes. Jonathan got permission to go out on the Golf course. And we were set to band shrikes. It did not take long for the bird to see the trap and fly in.
Here Jonathan watching.








Jonathan takes the bird out of the trap.








We prepared to band the bird.







With the band in place, measurement taken, feathers secured the bird was released and a few minutes later it was back on the wire with the other shrike.


Here is Jonathan with the shrike.
It was time for me to get to work so I left Jonathan. I hope he got a chance to band the second one. By the way on my way home later that day, I saw the shrike at the Gisco Marine Road. The Cooper’s Hawk did not have shrike for breakfast thank heavens.

Fascinating work Jonathan. Thanks for letting me tag along.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Hey Lydia!

After you left I banded another shrike at the causeway entrance just past the gateway, right when you tun onto the causeway from hwy 17. So keep an eye out! Thanks for helping me last weekend, and I'll let you know when I am down there again!