Friday, May 11, 2007

May 8th Painted Buntings

May 8, 2007,
There is a chill in the air as I head out to Harris Neck Wildlife Refuge. It reminds me more of Maine spring morning than of coastal Georgia. I am going to a meeting with the Georgia Colonial Coast Birding and Nature Festival steering committee. Every month we meet and hammer out all the details of this wonderful festival. There is a huge amount of work that goes into a festival this size. The coast is lucky to have this dedicated group of hard workers meeting and spending hours on end working on this festival. Today we are trying to find those loose ends.
So I am in my van driving across the wide expanse of salt marsh. It never ceases to amaze me with it stunning beauty. An osprey rises up along side of the van. It has a fish and is heading back to it’s nest where if mate is waiting. We both have our jobs and go in different direction.
Harris Neck is a magical spot on the coast. Parking I grab my Leica binoculars and walk to the side of the Welcome Center. The caged feeder is filled and there are Painted Buntings all around it. The males so colorful and the females a delightful green. While standing there an Eastern Pewee calls and then there is a solid blue bird at the feeder. A Blue Grosbeak is there. I turn to go in and glance at the hummingbird feeder and there is a little Ruby-throated Hummingbird. Never a dull moment at Harris Neck. That goes for the meeting as well. We are still going strong after two and half hours. But we have our marching orders and are happy to know that we are helping to build this wonderful festival. Just so you know the dates are October 12-14, 2007.
That evening I am invited to dinner with old and dear friend on Jekyll. Sitting in their den before dinner I am enterained by their feeder. It has Painted Buntings feeding away on the millet. In the bushes there is an Ovenbird just strolling around. It was a nice day with the birds.
With Georgia’s birdlife on my mind- good birding
Lydia

No comments: