Sunday, August 12, 2007

Swallows of August




Summer time heat and humidity has settled over the Golden Isles of Georgia. There are pop-up rain storms. Folks just do not want to go out in the heat. I do not disagree but well. I grew up in the south east US. "August is hot" is a fact like water is wet….life goes on. For me August is a time of wonder and discovery. Birds are beginning to move around. Some of these birds are driven by hormones others are driven by food. For me the fascinating birds are swallows and this is the time to watch them. In August I like to be at the south end of Jekyll somewhere from 8 am to around 10-10:30 am. There are times when the Barn and Bank Swallows are swirling around. There can be Cliff Swallow and Purple Martins mixed in. I would love to take a chair and just sit and be amazed.
After the swallow show I like a change of pace and go to the Jekyll Island Campground. It is good to sit in the swing. Last Thursday there were three North Parulas back and forth at the bird bath. There two young ones looking sleek and one male who was not so sleek. Also I had Yellow-throated Warblers, Painted Buntings, Indigo Bunting, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, Summer Tanager, just to name a few of the birds that were coming into the sanctuary.
So just because it is hot don’t let that stop you from going birding, just remember to go slow, drink lots of water.
Don’t forget pre-registration for the Georgia Colonial Coast Birding and Nature Festival starts Monday August 20, 2007. Good Birding
Lydia

No comments: